Curtain call photos and two (German) reviews of yesterday’s last stop on the Winterreise journey in Salzburg. Click on photo to see more …
The second German review about the Winterreise in Vienna is translated now.
A first photo of yesterday’s Winterreise in Vienna – hoping for more and waiting for reviews …
Have a look at some photos published on Facebook
Two wonderful German reviews with translations of Simon’s Winterreise performance at Graz last Sunday .
Akiko has sent us a curtain call photo of the 22.10.14 at Wigmore Hall – thanks a lot!
More Tweets about last night’s Winterreise:
- “Wednesday: Die Winterreise with Simon Keenlyside and @EmanuelAx, @wigmore_hall. I really saw SK roaming around a snowy waste. Raw, poetic.”
- “Powerful and dramatic Winterreise from Keenlyside and Ax @wigmore_hall V different from last Winterreise I saw (Kaufmann) but just as valid”
- “Keenlyside’s Winterreise at @wigmore_hall was devastating. Any hope left for his Wanderer.”
- “Wonderful Winterreise with @EmanuelAx and Simon Keenlyside tonight @wigmore_hall. Beautiful balance, tension, shape. Thank you both!”
- “Beautifully intense, angry & tormented Winterreise from Simon Keenlyside @wigmore_hall. Loved Kaufmann’s but preferred this interpretation.”
- “Loved how Keenlyside drew you in with his eye contact & physicality. He was sharing directly with you whereas Kaufmannn more introspective.”
- ” I also liked how physical he was. JK more an internal monologue, SK sharing with audience.”
- “Kaufmann was fragile, but SK was tormented. I just liked the anger. Both fabulous but SK suited my taste for angry singing!”
- “Simon Keenlyside Recital. Schubert “Winterreise” @
wigmore_hall ” with this photo
click on photo to see more curtain call photos … thanks to Kew and Kyoko!
News: Simon’s Rigoletto in Vienna is being broadcast in – at least – one cinema in London - we have asked the Vienna Opera for more information.
More reviews of the first performance of Winterreise at Wigmore Hall
Tweets about tonight’s Winterreise
- “Keenlyside’s Winterreise was very extrovert and physical – gesticulation, pacing around the stage & seeking eye contact with the audience.”
- “Beautiful, sensitive, moving #Winterreise from Simon Keenlyside & Emmanuel Ax this evening @wigmore_hall. Perfect bliss.”
- “What an AMAZING night @wigmore_hall listening to Simon Keenlyside sing Die Winterreise. My favourite singer ever and I was in the front row!”
Tweets about yesterday’s Winterreise at Wigmore Hall (first performance of two)
- “What a performance of Winterreise! Thank you Simon Keenlyside, thank you Emanuel Ax! #winterresie #schubert”
- “Photo: Brilliant the #baritone Simon #Keenlyside and #EmanuelAx on the #piano #Schubert #Winterreise… “
- “Best preparation the night before a German-themed lunchtime concert? Pageturning Winterreise for Simon Keenlyside&Emmanuel Ax @wigmore_hall”
- “In contrast to #JK’s fragile vulnerability, Keenlyside was a tormented soul right from the beginning #Winterreise”
- “Insigtful & soulful Wintereise from Simon Keenlyside for captivated capacity audience @wigmore_hall tonight. #memorable”
- “Exquisite artistry from @EmanuelAx & Simon Keenlyside in their 1st of 2 #Winterreise recitals @wigmore_hall this eve2″
- “Maestro Bernard Haitink embraces Simon Keenlyside after a magnificent winter journey at WH with Emanuel Ax. #superb”
- “Another brilliant evening @
wigmore_hall last night with Simon Keenlyside + @ EmanuelAx. Photo by @SimonJayPrice “
There are already first reviews too ….
Simon has been named in the Music Maker section of the London Evening Standard list of London’s 1000 most influential people:
With his wonderfully rich, coppery voice, and his performances renowned for their physicality and intensity, Keenlyside has conquered opera houses all over the world. Even on the concert platform he has a startlingly hyper-expressive delivery, to which his perambulatory stage manner contributes.
We have found two Tweets – it appears that Simon has been giving master classes over the last couple of days:
- “It’s been a lovely couple of days, having been lucky enough to have masterclasses with Simon Keenlyside!”
- “Woke up and remembered for the next three days I’ll be working with Simon Keenlyside…
Curtain call photos and Tweets about yesterday’s (last) Rigoletto of the series at ROH:
- “Keenlyside was really terrific as #ROHRigoletto. Other leads would have done better avoiding high notes. Was glad to see the end of Gilda.”
- “Simon Keenlyside once again showing how it’s done in @RoyalOperaHouse Rigoletto. All the stars, boy!”
- “Loved #ROHrigoletto tonight @TheRoyalOpera a fantastic opera with a great cast”
- “Really mixed bag for tonight’s #ROHrigoletto. It certainly proves that a fantastic *Rigoletto* isn’t enough !”
- “@TheRoyalOpera My first #Rigoletto and loved it, the singers were excellent and #SimonKeenlyside really outstanding – wonderful evening”
- “Aleksandra Kurzak was awesome as Gilda in #ROHrigoletto tonight. Simon Keenlyside & Saimir Pirgu also excellent. @RoyalOperaHouse”
- “Superb #ROHrigoletto last night @TheRoyalOpera. Poor Rigoletto couldn’t wriggle outta that curse, but my word could he sing! “
and a Tweet from Duncan Rock ( @DRock_baritone) with this photo
- “A pleasure working with this guy! A wonderful artist and thoroughly decent, down to earth man. He sings good too…. “
News of the Vienna Opera: The Korean conductor Myung-Whun Chung will take over the new production of “Rigoletto”, he will conduct all performances except 27. December which will be conducted by Guillermo García Calvo.